In conversation with... Fran Clark

Happy publication day to Lovers by Fran Clark! Please head over to Instagram for a review of this gorgeous novel, but first enjoy hearing from the author herself…

Hi Fran! First of all, I would like to congratulate you on the publication of Lovers! Can you please briefly tell us what it is about?

A: Lovers charts the dramatic love affair between Charlie and Brenda who meet in a club in London’s Soho in the 1980s. He’s a married man and the love affair is doomed and their story never quite ends. In the same area of London that Charlie and Brenda used to live, a group of people, who didn’t know each other at first, find that their paths cross. These people are all searching for a new life and when they meet their lives change. While they find love and friendship they also find out the ending to Charlie and Brenda’s story.

What inspired you to write this novel?

A: It was an idea that came to me in lockdown. There is a theory that everyone in the world is somehow connected to every one else by a chain of acquaintances. It’s called six degrees of separation and I find it totally intriguing. I’ve always wanted to write a fiction about this and Lovers is the consequence of how acquaintances can come together.

Did you have the plot entirely figured out when you started writing the book or did it take an unexpected turn as the characters grew on the page?

A: I never have an entire plot worked out. What I started with was the characters and working out a way to connect them. The central storyline of Charlie and Brenda was the starting point in many respects I did most of the research on the phone as we were in lockdown, interviewing friends from different cultures and ethnicities about language and locations so that I could get an authentic set of characters typically found in a West London town, where the book is set.

This is a novel narrated from multiple points of view. How do you manage to create such distinctive voices for each one of your narrators?

A: I think the answer to that is just how real the characters became to me. They lived with me before I started writing the story and in many ways wrote their own story. I guess what I mean by that is that I throw myself into my settings and the characters are as real as a person coming round to my house for dinner and telling me their story. I hope that doesn’t sound weird!

Without giving too much away, can you tell us about a scene in the book that you love or that was particularly difficult to write?

A: Gosh. That’s a tough question because there are many scenes that were difficult, just because of the emotional story of the characters. But Ione, who moves down to London from Manchester to restart her life, never knew who her father was. Her mother didn’t want to tell her. She looks for her father and when she finally finds him, Ione is torn apart by what she discovers. I’d like to say more but I would give it away!

Is there anything that didn’t make it into the final version of the book?

A: Ione is escaping from an abusive relationship and I did try to have a scene in which she is stalked by her former husband. We are never really sure if it is real or part of her imagination. We do find out it’s real and it’s her new friends she makes in London that help drive him away and out of her life for good. I didn’t put it in because I wanted to show Ione growing and not going back to her past.

If you are already working on your next writing project, would you mind giving us a little anticipation of what we are to expect?

A: I’ve already started working on a four book series called the Island Secrets Series. The stories are standalone but there are links between characters from book to book and all the settings are mainly between London and the Caribbean. It covers a large period of time so there are historical as well as contemporary settings in the books. I’ve written the first three and the fourth is about to go to the editor. The series is out in 2024 and the first book, Holding Paradise, is out on 15th February 2024. There is a prequel to this book which is a short story and can be read for free if your readers wanted to sign up to my mailing list.

What are you reading at the moment?

A: I’m reading The World Outside My Window by Clare Swatman.

Due to the popularity of social networking websites, interacting with readers – be it via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. – is becoming increasingly important. How do you cope with these new demands on authors and do you think that they somehow disrupt your writing schedule?

A: For me, someone who isn’t that keen on social media and not really sure how to navigate it, I find it very difficult. I understand its importance and I’m trying to learn how to use it in a way that is authentic to me. I’m still struggling to find that balance because the learning process eats into my creative time. I feel guilty when I haven’t posted anything in a week and that stresses me out. I’m sure I’ll strike the right balance in the end. I hope so.

What one piece of advice would you give to aspiring writers?

A: I think in this day and age you have to remember to be more businesslike about trying to get your books out to the world. Sometimes we are lucky and get a good book deal or a great agent, but a lot of the selling of your books can depend on you. I would say, learn to write the best book you can through experience as well as educating yourself about how you find the people to read and buy your books. And good luck!

Thank you for your time!

A: It’s my pleasure :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Italy in books” - reading challenge 2011

Book review: She’s Never Coming Back

In conversation with... T.M. Logan