LGBT reading challenge 2011
Why this challenge? LGBT literature is so rich and varied and worth talking more about. That’s why I am hosting this challenge: to keep learning and sharing reading experiences. And, why not, to do my own tiny bit for a more accepting world – one book at a time!
The details of the challenge
- The challenge will run from January, 1st 2011 to December, 31st 2011.
- Because I’m also completing another challenge, I’m not setting a goal. You can decide how many books you want to read during the year. Obviously: the more you read, the more prize draws you’ll be able to enter! See the section “Resources” below for some suggestions.
- What qualifies as LGBT reading? I will accept reviews of books whose author is LBGT, whose topic is LGBT and/or whose characters (even minor ones) are LGBT. Fiction and non-fiction titles are equally accepted.
- The challenge is open to bloggers and non bloggers alike.
- There will be monthly prizes for participants.
How to sign up
- If you are a blogger: create a post about taking part in the challenge and link back to this post. After that, click here and register. In the URL field you need to indicate the URL of the challenge-related post, not the general URL of your blog.
- Also for bloggers: display the image below on your sidebar. To do this, you just need to copy and paste the following code.
- If you are not a blogger: click here and register. In the URL field, just put n/a.
- I will constantly update the list of participants.
What to do once you’ve read a book
- If you are a blogger: write a review on your blog and link back to the challenge-related monthly post that I will create at the beginning of every month. After that, click on the relevant link to send me your review. In the URL field you need to indicate the URL of the relevant post, not the general URL of your blog.
- If you are not a blogger: click on the link in the challenge-related post that I will create at the beginning of every month to send me your book review.
- Everyone who sends in their reviews during a specific month will be entered into a prize draw. Details to follow at the beginning of every month.
- You don't need to select your books at the beginning of the challenge. You can choose them as you go. If you do want to make a list of the books you aim to read, don’t feel bound to it.
- Need ideas?
a) Visit Amazon, enter “LGBT” (or gay, lesbian etc.) in the search box. On the left-hand column of the results page, you will find a box called Listmania! Enter your keyword again in the “Search Listmania!” box and click “go”. You will be directed to a page containing lists of relevant boos compiled by users of the website.
b) Visit www.whichbook.net and choose the required character’s sexuality (under “change to character, plot, setting). If you’ve never used this website, you can find a useful demo on the homepage.
c) Visit www.wikipedia.org and search for “gay literature”. The results will contain many suggestions and further links to explore.